Ingredients (for 10 300mL-10oz jars):
1.2kg (2.6 lbs) outdoor rhubarb
800g (1.7 lbs) caster sugar
2 tablespoons green cardamom pods
juice of 1 lemon
• Toast the cardamom pods in a small skillet over medium heat until they start to pop and turn light brown. Be careful, as they can be quite ‘lively’! Take the pan off the stove and leave to cool.
• Once cool, grind the pods in a electric spice grinder or mortar and pestle until the seeds inside have been ground (if using a mortar and pestle, you will need to sieve out the skins of the pods as they wont break down with the pestle).
• Mix the ground cardamom with sugar and leave for 24 hours to infuse.
• Once you are ready to make the preserves, wash the rhubarb and chop roughly into 5cm pieces.
• Place the rhubarb into a heavy based pan with ¼ cup of water and set to medium heat.
• Once the Rhubarb has started breaking down slowly add the sugar and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
• Bring the Preserve to the boil and cook till setting point 105c.
• Take the pan off the stove and leave to rest for 5 minutes, stirring to distribute any bubbles, which will slowly disappear.
• Pour into warm sterilized jars, and make sure you sterilize your lids.