1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
75g cacao powder
60ml vegetable oil
185g full fat yogurt
150g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
110g icing sugar
240g cream cheese (full fat)
1/2 vanilla bean, cut open & scraped
• Preheat the oven to 160° Celcius. Line the bottom of 2 baking tins (8 or 9 inches in diameter) with parchment paper and grease the sides with butter.
• Mix all dry ingredients together and all liquid ingredients together in two separate bowls.
• Combine and mix the two bowls well together until you get a homogeneous and lump-free batter.
• Divide the batter evenly between the two tins and bake for about 20-25 minutes until sponges cakes are firm.
• Leave them to chill for at least 2-3 hours in the fridge.
• Once the sponge cakes are baked and cooled, prepare your frosting by putting the soft butter and the icing sugar into a mixer and beating them on maximum speed until you get a fluffy and light buttercream, about 2-3 minutes.
• Add the cream cheese and vanilla and combine well with the buttercream to make the frosting.
• Assemble the cake: place one of the sponge cakes on a cake stand or presentation plate and put roughly half of the frosting on top and spread evenly.
• Place the next layer of sponge cake upside down on the first cake and spread the other half of the frosting evenly over the top of the cake.
• Decorate the cake with fresh and seasonal fruit, ideally with all kinds of berries so it’s opulent.